Skip to main content

Book Review: Clarity by Kim Harrington

Clarity (Clarity, #1)Title: Clarity
Author: Kim Harrington
Series: Clarity #1
Pages: 242
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Date of UK Publication: 1st March 2011
Source: Bought
Synopsis from Goodreads: When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?

This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?



My Thoughts:
Clarity can see visions of things. Things that have happened to the people wearing or using a certain object. She's not normal, and to everyone around her, she is 'The Freak'. But when a murder is committed, Clare's abilities may come in handy. She's determined to prove that she isn't a fraud, and that her power can be useful, but it doesn't always work when she wants it to. When her brother becomes prime suspect in the murder, she needs it more than ever. But will it work for her?

I enjoyed this book. It was a short quick read, which was exactly what I was looking for.
The characters in the book were my favourite part of the book, because while the plot was good, it wasn't amazing. Anyways, back to the characters.

Clare was a strong main character and I enjoyed reading the book from her point of view. She was extremely loyal to her brother and her mum, and I admire that. But, then again, it is hard to keep things from your mother if she can read you mind. Just saying'...

There was a small love triangle, between Clare, Justin (her ex) and Gabriel (the new boy in town). I prefer Justin, he is so sweet, and it's so obvious how much he is in love with her, and I couldn't help but get annoyed with Clare for being so mean and unforgiving. But Gabriel, I don't know about him, he's a little odd... He comes into town and hates Clare, and then suddenly he's giving up trying to hate her and is in love with her... I don't know, sounds a bit too much like Edward Cullen for me. Only Edward is allowed to hate and then love so quickly ;)

As I said before, the characters were stronger than the plot for me. While the plot wasn't awful, it wasn't amazing either. It was predictable, until there was a twist, but then it went right back to being predictable again. I was very proud of myself, as I guessed who did the murder, but then there was a twist, and I changed my mind. So I sort of guessed, but not really :L

Clarity is a strong debut novel and I really enjoyed reading it. It's a quick read, only 250 pages long, but if that's what you're looking for, it's perfect.


My Rating:
I give it 4 Feet!

Challenges:
2011 Debut Author Challenge #14
2011 Paranormal YA Reading Challenge #24
2011 100+ Reading Challenge #41

Comments

  1. I didn't think of him as Edward Cullen:D I really enjoyed the forming love triangle between Clare, the new boy in town and the ex. Never expected Clarity to be such a good read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul