Skip to main content

Book Review: Heist Society by Ally Carter

Heist Society
Title: Heist Society
Author: Ally Carter
Series: Heist Society #1
Pages: 304
Publisher: Orchard Children's Books
Date of Publication: 1st September 2011
Source: Publisher*
Synopsis from Goodreads: When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own--scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat's dad needs her help.

For Kat there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in history-or at least her family's (very crooked) history.

My Thoughts:
I didn't really know what to expect from Heist Society. I wanted a quick, fun read, and I was hoping that that was what I would get. And it disappoint! I had great fun reading about all the heists Kat pulled, and I loved trying to figure out how she was going to pull off one the most difficult and most crazy burglaries of all time.

I really liked Ally's writing style - it was awesome how it was easy and simple to read, yet it didn't feel like anything was lacking. Maybe there could have been a little bit more explanation or description in some places (but not too much to slow it down), but in the most part I found that I could quite happily read for an hour or two without having felt like I've been bogged down in something deep for too long.

I also liked the characters. I really liked Kat in particular - I loved the way that Ally portrayed as a very real and almost believable teenager. (Only almost because she's a 'professional' theif!). Her reaction to being roped back into her family's business that she tried so hard to get out of was so realistic, and I could relate to her in that she didn't want to be doing something that she really had no choice in, if that makes sense.

However, the main downside of the book for me were the other characters. None of them really stood out too much to me, and I read the book a couple of weeks ago and I already have forgotten their names, apart from Uncle Eddie. I think it would have been nice to know a little bit more about the characters and I think I'd have liked it better if it had been written in first person, because then we'd get Kat's point of view about each character better than we did, even though as I said before, I really liked the writing style. (I am aware that makes little sense, but I don't know how else to put it...)

Lastly, I liked the way the book was structured. I liked how at the beginning, Kat was given her deadline, and then the rest of the book is split up into '13 days before the deadline'; '12 days before the deadline'; '11 days before the deadline'; etc. It helped me to keep track of whereabouts in the plot they were, and sometimes I get a bit confused about the timings and settings of books so it was nice to be able to flip back a few pages to find out what day it was, and also which country Kat and her friends were in at the time.

Overall, I really enjoyed Heist Society. While it wasn't my favourite book, I did feel that at the time I read it, it was what I really wanted, and for that, I give it extra points (not that I give points ;) ). I would definitely recommend it if you like simple and fun contemporary reads, but if you're looking for something that's deep and will make you think, maybe leave this one until you want something you can read, enjoy, and then forget. Having said this though, I think I will be reading the sequel, as I'd love to find out where Kat's adventures will take her next.

My Rating:
I give it 4 Feet!

Challenges:
2011 100+ Reading Challenge #94

Comments

  1. I haven't read this series at all, but you have definitely intrigued me with it. I like the sound of the mad antics.

    Your picture is on my post today, I hope you don't mind but I had a photo of you at the Laini Taylor event and I have posted it with the other blogger pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul