Skip to main content

Book Review: The Worst Girlfriend In The World by Sarra Manning

The Worst Girlfriend in the WorldTitle: The Worst Girlfriend In The World 
Author: Sarra Manning
Series: n/a
Pages: 352
Publisher: ATOM Books
Date of Publication: 1st May, 2014
Source: Bought
Synopsis from Goodreads: My best friend was now my deadliest enemy, the one person I'd hate beyond all measure for the rest of my life . . .

Franny Barker's best friend, Alice, is the worst girlfriend in the world according to the many boys of Merrycliffe-on-Sea. She toys with them, then dumps them. But she'll never dump fashion-obsessed Franny. Nothing and no one can come between them.

Not even tousle-haired rock god, Louis Allen, who Franny's been crushing on hard. Until Alice, bored with immature boys and jealous of Franny's new college friends, sets her sights on Louis. Suddenly, best friends are bitter rivals.

Is winning Louis's heart worth more than their friendship? There's only one way for Franny to find out.


My Thoughts:
I read Adorkable last summer, and I absolutely loved it. It was my first of Sarra's books, and I was super excited to read more. The Worst Girlfriend In The World was my second of Sarra's books, and while I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I loved Adorkable, it was still a good read.

I don't normally go for the typical two best friends both want the same guy story, because I'm always a little wary of situations that sound like love triangles. However, I had faith in Sarra's writing and was happy to find that it wasn't really a love triangle as such - it wasn't Louis, the guy, umming and ahhing about who he likes better, it was mainly focused on Franny's rocky friendship with Alice. Once you realise this, the title of the novel takes on a whole new meaning! In fact the whole book is based on the relationship between the two girls, with their romantic relationships taking a back seat, which I really enjoyed.

I have to admit it took me a while to really get into Franny's story and the novel as a whole, because I couldn't really identify with any of the characters at the beginning of the novel. However, as the story went along and we got to know more about Franny, I began to really enjoy it and by about half way through, I was flying through the pages. I think I read the last half in only two sittings? I really liked reading about all of Franny's fashion adventures and about her trying to make clothes in her fashion course at college. Last year I had a phase where I made a lot of clothes and so it was really cool to read about her trying to sew sleeves into her leather dress because I know from experience that it is bloody hard. Franny's experiences with her mentally ill mother were also really interesting to read about, since I've not read much about characters with mental illnesses. It made Franny seem that much more real and mature and I think that Sarra dealt with a sensitive issue really well.

I really like the supporting characters too. I loved reading about how Franny became friends with all her college classmates, and also her developing relationships with Frances, Louis and Raj. I think Raj was my favourite - he didn't have a massive part but when he was around he was really funny. I also really liked Frances, and I'm so happy with his storyline. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say anything else but he was great. I couldn't get on with Alice though. She and I are like chalk and cheese and I couldn't really relate to her at all.

Overall though, The Worst Girlfriend In The World was a good read. I would recommend if you're looking for a story of the relationship between friends and family rather than just romance. Sarra's writing is enjoyable and easy to read, and the story gets better and better as it goes along and you get to know the characters. It'd make a really great summer read!


Comments

  1. Adorkable was my first book my Sarra Manning, too. Then I decided to read a few of her adult books and I really enjoyed them. I've been wanting to read The Worst Girlfriend in the World, too, but been concerned that I wouldn't find a way to connect with the characters like you say it's hard to in the beginning. Will give this one a try later on though. Thanks for your review, Bella:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one and I love Sara's writing so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But based on your review I won't set my expectations so high :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Adorkable a few months back after finding it in The Works for £1. I ended up enjoying it way more than I expected to so I am definitely going to read this at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul