Skip to main content

Book Review: The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson

The Unexpected EverythingTitle: The Unexpected Everything
Author: Morgan Matson
Series:  standalone
Pages:  518
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Date of Publication: 5th May, 2016
Source: Spare review copy passed on*
Synopsis from Goodreads: Andie has a plan. And she always sticks to her plan.

Future? A top-tier medical school.
Dad? Avoid him as much as possible (which isn’t that hard considering he’s a Congressman and he’s never around).
Friends? Palmer, Bri, and Toby—pretty much the most awesome people on the planet, who needs anyone else?
Relationships? No one’s worth more than three weeks.

So it’s no surprise that Andie’s got her summer all planned out too.

Until a political scandal costs Andie her summer pre-med internship, and lands both she and Dad back in the same house together for the first time in years. Suddenly she’s doing things that aren’t Andie at all—working as a dog walker, doing an epic scavenger hunt with her dad, and maybe, just maybe, letting the super cute Clark get closer than she expected. Palmer, Bri, and Toby tell her to embrace all the chaos, but can she really let go of her control?


My Thoughts:
I have been a huge fan of Morgan Matson ever since I read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour several years ago. So, understandably I was super excited to get The Unexpected Everything from Sophie (you're literally the best Sophie!) when she got an extra copy. I decided to control myself and save it until revision week, so that I would have something I was really looking forward to to save me from revision hell. While I still think that Since You've Been Gone is my favourite of Morgan's books, I read this in just a few sittings despite its pretty large page count and I absolutely loved it.

The thing that makes Morgan's books so great are definitely her characters. I quickly fell for Andie and her group of friends, Toby, Palmer, and Bri. Their friendship felt so genuine and they reminded me of some of my own friends too which was great. I particularly loved Toby because I felt like I could relate to her the most, and her emoji-only texts cracked me up. I also thought that the portrayal of their friendship was very realistic, and not sugar-coated which was refreshing. I don't think that a lot of other books would have ended like this did, shall we say (I hope if you've read it you can guess what I'm talking about!).  Morgan's books also always have a great emphasis on building family relationships which is also great to see, and this was no exception. I really loved watching Andie rebuild her relationship with her father and getting to know her mother through that too. And it goes without saying that Andie's relationship with Clark is a lot of fun too. Adorable!

The plot is very simple, and it's so easy to read and get lost in. It's just about a group of friends going about their lives, doing fun things like scavenger hunts and having pool parties, and navigating difficult relationships . I wanna do a big scavenger hunt like they do, just need a Palmer to organise it for me, haha! Andie's a dog walker so there are also a lot of fun doggie scenes which always made me smile. I normally avoid books about animals for some reason, so it was something I've never really read about before but it was very enjoyable haha. Also the pups on the cover are very cute too, which definitely doesn't hurt!

Overall The Unexpected Everything was everything that I wanted it to be. It was the perfect read to start off my summer, and has got me really excited for kicking off my summer reading. I definitely recommend this and all of Morgan's other books if you're looking for something fun and summery to take on holiday, or let's be honest just if you're looking for something really good to dig into. You won't be disappointed!


*Huge thanks to Sophie Waters from So Many Books, So Little Time, for sending me this! I owe you one! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul